Friends of the Earth U.S. is part of Friends of the Earth International, an international federation of diverse grassroots-based environmental organizations in 73 countries working in solidarity for sustainable, equitable and just societies.
Friends of the Earth groups work locally and join together internationally to mobilize, resist and transform.
Friends of the Earth International Program Areas
Friends of the Earth International member groups join together on federation-wide programs:
- Through the Climate Justice and Energy program, we fight for justice for the communities affected by climate changeand promote energy sovereignty, the right of communities to choose their own sustainable energy sources. We also advocate a strong agreement within the framework of the UN negotiations, a just agreement on climate finance and an end to deforestation, one of the biggest causes of climate change.
- The Food Sovereignty program aims to halt genetically modified organisms and corporate control of our food. We defend the right of people to determine their own food systems.
- In the Forest and Biodiversity program, we campaign against illegal logging and deforestation, and work with communities and local people to uphold their rights to manage their forests. We also expose and oppose the negative impacts of monoculture plantations of crops such as, sugar cane, palm oil and soy, to produce agrofuels.
- The program on Economic Justice – Resisting Neoliberalism challenges the current economic model by exposing and resisting corporate power and the new Global Europe strategy, while identifying and promoting initiatives that generate sustainable livelihoods.
- Friends of the Earth International also defends the right to safe and clean water. We work with local communities to end the tragedies surrounding oil and gas extraction and mining. We inspire creative sustainable lifestyle choices by encouraging people to ‘Live More’. And finally, we stimulate gender equality and celebrate cultural diversity.