Reports to: Financial Analyst
Position located: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth, U.S. is looking for a part-time, paid Accounting Intern for a six-month period in Fall/Winter 2019 until early 2020. This part-time position will be based out of Friends of the Earth’s Washington, D.C. headquarters.
The intern will support our accounting team by:
- Gathering, organizing, and updating financial data
- Performing basic accounting functions essential to month-end closing
- Helping with any additional accounting tasks as needed
This intern will have the opportunity to participate in and help with other accounting-related tasks, especially year-end closing activities and the annual financial audit.
Who We Are
Friends of the Earth, U.S. is a progressive environmental advocacy organization that pulls no punches and sometimes speak uncomfortable truths. For more than four decades, our approach continues to yield victories protecting our planet and its people. As part of Friends of the Earth International, we are a federation of grassroots groups working in 75 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues. To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth works at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Friends of the Earth U.S. is fighting to champion the environment and create a more healthy and just world.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and update FOE’s digital and physical grant books
- Conduct analysis of Due To/Due From Schedules
- Analyze and update American Express charges and Prepaid Schedules
- Organize and update Bank Reconciliation Signature Book
- Update financial templates, including team financials and pivot tables
- Assist in creating a Contract Management System
- Any additional tasks related to month-end closing, as assigned
- Currently studying accounting, finance, or related fields, or has a degree in accounting/finance
- Proficient in creating and manipulating Excel spreadsheets
- A highly motivated, quick learner who is able to take initiative and work independently
- Availability to work 15 hours a week
- Experience with contract management systems
- Experience and familiarity with collecting and analyzing financial data
- Prior experience working in an Accounting office in the non-profit sector
E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Accounting Internship.” No mail applications or phone calls. The position will remain open until filled.
This is a paid, part-time internship. Intern must be able to commit 15 hours per week, for six months from the date of hire, at a rate of $15/hour, with no additional benefits.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.