Administrative Assistant – Berkeley, CA
Is taking care of people in your DNA? Are you known for making sure people have what they need, when they need it? Are people always telling you how grateful they are that YOU thought of whatever before they did? That’s probably because you know that doing the job right the first time ensures that you have time to deal with all of those last minute details that pop out of nowhere and threaten to derail whatever you or your manager have worked so hard to make happen — whether it be a meeting, a special event, or just daily life in the office. You take pride in your work, your manager, your environment, and your organization.
If this description speaks to you at a gut level, we want to talk with you. We are recruiting an Administrative Assistant for Friends of the Earth’s Berkeley, CA location. Your role is critical to the smooth functioning of this important office and provides support to our VP of Programs. Your work provides a foundation for others to perform the important advocacy work of Friends of the Earth.
Who We Are
Friends of the Earth is working for a more healthy and just world. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. Our mission is to change the perception of the public, media and policy makers – and effect policy change – with impactful, well-reasoned policy analysis and advocacy campaigns that protect people and the planet. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our programs address a wide range of domestic and international issues as they relate to the environment, including but not limited to: climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy and democracy reform.
What You’ll Do
This job is not for everyone, but it is a perfect fit for someone who is can-do and willing to do whatever it takes to get a job done. Specifically, there are three main parts to the job — scheduling and meeting support, providing class-A support for our Vice President, and operating the office in an efficient, orderly manner. You are in charge!
Scheduling and Meeting Support — We are a busy office with a lot of meetings, comings and goings. You will be responsible for:
- Daily management of the VP of Programs’ schedule
- Coordinating internal and external meeting participants as needed
- Ensuring the logistics and facilitation are clear for each and every meeting, call, or event
- Coordinating the arrival/departure/participation of all parties including materials and logistics to ensure that the VP of Programs is ready to step into that room — prepped and in the know
- Scheduling time for the VP to ready herself for the meeting and ensuring she has adequate time for follow-up, including coordinating any prep or follow-up
VP Support — Looking out for our VP of Programs is critical to your success.
- Administrative support: Travel including flight, hotel, reimbursements, time entry, invoice processing and reconciliation of any credit card charges
- Time and task management: Creating, implementing, and monitoring tracking systems
- Research and writing: Gathering information, copy editing, drafting, crafting talking points
- Coordination with staff, external parties: Gateway and gatekeeper for all requests and contact
- Keeping bio and official photos current
- Document management: Creating, implementing and monitoring tracking systems for notes, meeting materials, writings, and records
Operations — And remember those duties as assigned? Here are some key parts to the overall functioning for which you are responsible.
- Ordering office supplies (materials, paper, etc.) and maintaining equipment
- Guest reception
- Setting up conference rooms for staff meetings and events
- Maintain office contact lists, including kitchen duty
- Serve as the primary liaison between building engineers, property manager and FOE regarding office and building issues, and coordinating service requests
- Serve as the primary liaison with vendors for such services as telephone, copiers, and mail machine
- Manage and control the inventory and order general office supplies such as paper for printers, copiers, mailing supplies, kitchen supplies, and office supplies for staff
- Special projects and duties as assigned
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you must be exceptional in these five areas:
- 100% follow-through: NO dropped balls policy. You will be required to stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work. You consistently meet all deadlines.
- Customer-service focused: You make it easy for our VP of Programs to do her job. You view your work as supporting and providing the infrastructure that allows Friends of the Earth to advance its overall mission.
- Attention to detail: Everything going out is polished, which means that it is accurate (correct content, no misspellings, grammatical errors), precise (reflects any nuances in the situation, captures the subtleties), and “fits” the situation (has our look and feel generally, but can be casual if/when the situation calls for it.
- Team player: You are eager to use your role to advance the mission of FoE and never think anything is “not my job.” You look for ways to help beyond your own core responsibilities and are ready to participate in all-hands-on-deck projects.
- Solution-oriented: You proactively develop solutions to challenges and regularly push past any roadblocks.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of can-do people, working in open spaces, regularly supporting each other. You will be working out of our offices in Berkeley, CA, which is a highly collaborative environment and could travel occasionally to our Headquarters in DC.
Your salary will be competitive for the role and market and you will find our benefits to be generous – organization-sponsored medical/dental/vision care, generous paid time off, contribution to retirement, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, paid maternity/paternity leave and more.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us a resume or your LinkedIn profile by following this link. We look forward to learning more about you.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.