Communications and Media Associate
Position reports to: Communications Director
Position location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth is a progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks truth to power. For four decades, we have produced important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the intersection of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
We are looking for a Communications and Media Associate to contribute to the organization’s communications efficiency and capacity. The successful candidate will support the Friends of the Earth Communications Department with diverse assignments, ranging from assisting with media relations, journalist outreach, digital media, media tracking and administrative responsibilities. This role works with the Press Officers, in creating and implementing communications plans for the organization’s various campaigns.
- In partnership with the Press Officers, help with the creation and implementation of media strategies and journalist outreach for large-scale campaigns. This will include helping with message development, drafting materials, and pitching journalists.
- Conduct journalist research and manage Friends of the Earth’s press lists.
- Lead communications projects for some small and mid-size campaigns
- Create initial drafts of media relations materials, including press releases and advisories, pitch notes, and talking points for interviews.
- Assist in the development of content for social media. Implement such content as needed.
- Field inquiries from reporters in partnership with Press Officers.
- Track and collect news clips relevant to Friends of the Earth on an ongoing basis for weekly review.
- Assist with research projects for the Communications Department.
- Provide occasional backup for our Digital Communications Coordinator who runs Friends of the Earth’s social media accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- 2-3 years of experience writing communications materials which may include press releases, media advisories, social media content and advocacy emails
- Direct experience working with the media, including experience pitching journalists
- An associates or bachelor’s degree
- Experience drafting and scheduling regular social media content in a professional setting
- Strong copy-editing skills
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, parental leave and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.
E-mail cover letter, resume and two short writing samples (no longer than 1 page each) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Communications and Media Associate.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer which encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.