Digital Production Associate
Reports to: Deputy Director of Digital Membership and Advocacy
Location: Washington, DC
We are looking for a passionate, progressive digital production associate who will support our rapidly growing digital organizing, fundraising and advocacy efforts. You will provide support to Friends of the Earth’s membership program by playing a key role in the implementation of digital communications with members.
If you have a positive attitude and are eager to learn new skills this job could be for you. We need someone who can take direction well and be open to feedback, while listening to and respecting the views of others. This is a role where attention to detail is critical, as is the ability to turn around work quickly and flawlessly. Our team works together very closely, so the person in this role must be comfortable with a hands-on manager and teammates.
Mostly, we are looking for someone who is smart and not afraid to ask questions. You should also be:
- Comfortable working effectively with all organizational levels.
- Sensible, realistic and matter-of-fact.
- A problem solver with a can-do approach.
- Someone who understands that it takes a team effort to meet organizational objectives.
Who We Are
Friends of the Earth is working for a more healthy and just world. We work at the nexus of environmental protection, economic justice and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and world value people and the environment. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our current programs focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change; ensuring a healthy, just and resilient food system where organic is for all; protecting marine ecosystems and the people who depend on them; and transforming our financial, economic and political systems.
What You’ll Do
- Lead all aspects of production of email blasts – from loading to subject-line testing – for our nearly 1.9-million subscriber email list in our digital advocacy and fundraising CRM Engaging Networks;
- Write donation page copy and set up donation pages in our donation processing system ActBlue;
- Draft and edit email communications in support of state and local advocacy and organizing;
- Target, load and proofread peer-to-peer texting campaigns;
- Implement tests of new digital fundraising tactics;
- Track and submit public comments and petition signatures to support campaign goals;
- Troubleshoot technical problems in Engaging Networks;
- Respond to email inquiries from Friends of the Earth members, volunteers and activists.
- High school diploma, 1-2 years’ work experience in an office environment.
- Adept at project management – you drive work forward through obstacles and are sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- SUPERB attention to detail and an excellent memory for detail.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- 1-2 years experience in marketing, digital communications, or any nonprofit or political campaign role.
- 1 – 2 years of work experience in digital communications or marketing.
- Excellent writing skills, particularly in a marketing context.
- Experience with Engaging Networks CRM or another CRM preferred.
Who You Are
To ensure success, you are someone who has:
Exceptional attention to detail: Takes responsibility to make sure all final products are polished. This can mean: No typos, grammatical errors, or technical issues; correct email and landing page templates used; email targeting set up perfectly; no errors in analyzing test results; grasps nuances of campaign well enough to draft factually-accurate and message-aligned copy. Good memory for detail is a must!
Project management skills: stays on top of multiple projects without dropping any balls, plans backwards and anticipates obstacles, identifies and involves stakeholders appropriately.
Hustle/flexibility: Not frustrated by a constantly changing internal and external environment. Able to push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change. Able to stay on top of a very high-volume, fast-moving workload.
Strong written and verbal communication skills: a foundational grasp of written communications is required – bonus points if you have experience with digital marketing. Skilled at keeping others in the organization informed about the status of projects – defaults to over-communicating. Able to quickly grasp nuance in written and verbal communications.
Technical knowledge: Should be able to learn complex new systems, but doesn’t need to have specific coding knowledge or experience with a particular program.
Commitment to intersectionality and FOE’s theory of change: Important, but won’t distinguish among top candidates.
But above all, you have a passion for the environment and progressive politics . . . and it shows through. If this sounds like you, please forward your resume to our recruiter and let’s get started!
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Also, please note that references will be requested during the screening process and final candidates will undergo a writing exercise.