Graphic Design Intern
Reports to: Art Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Are you a new designer with a passion for environmental or social justice? Are you looking for hands-on, in-house design experience and the opportunity to work with a Communications team?
Friends of the Earth, U.S. is looking for a part-time, paid Graphic Design Intern for a three-month period in Fall 2019.
The intern will work alongside FOE’s Art Director and will support design to:
- Help our policy advocates build and win short-term campaigns,
- Contribute to broader progressive and environmental movements, and
- Strengthen the Friends of the Earth brand.
Who We Are
Friends of the Earth, U.S. is a progressive environmental advocacy organization that pulls no punches and sometimes speak uncomfortable truths. For more than four decades, our approach continues to yield victories protecting our planet and its people. As part of Friends of the Earth International, we are a federation of grassroots groups working in 75 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues. To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth works at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Friends of the Earth U.S. is fighting to champion the environment and create a more healthy and just world.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn about the issues and our stance, as well as the range of communications tactics we use
- Assist Art Director with designing email, website, and social media graphics to support fundraising and policy initiatives
- Assist in the development of print materials for our 15+ campaigns
- Respond to one-off design requests: resize graphics, add logos, and modify existing materials
- Support the production of multimedia content, including videos and photos
- Support the broader Communications team as needed with tasks like conducting social media metrics and media monitoring.
Key attributes – This job may be for you if you are:
- Passionate about environmental and social justice issues.
- Positive, collaborative and eager to learn new skills.
- Someone who is a team player and is open to learning, while listening and respecting the views of others.
- Curious and willing to ask questions.
- Comfortable working effectively with all organizational levels.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or G.E.D. certificate.
- Experience with digital media, print production, and publication design
- Proficient with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Proficient with both Mac and PC operating systems
- Availability to work 20-25 hours a week
- Associate’s degree in graphic design or related field, or
- Completed a workshop or bootcamp in graphic design or related field.
- Experience with web design, digital photography and Illustrator.
- Strong design skills reflected in a current portfolio or work samples
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Photo and video experience a plus
Salary and Benefits
This three-month internship pays $15/hour, with no additional benefits. 25 hours per week, Monday-Friday afternoons (flexible work days).
E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject heading “Graphic Design Internship.” Please be sure to provide a link to your digital portfolio or provide work samples. Submissions without work samples will not be considered. No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.