Operations Assistant (Berkeley, CA)
Are you known for making things work? Are you the one who takes care of people and your environment, making sure that no one is left out and nothing is out of place? That’s probably because you know that doing the job right the first time ensures that you have time to deal with all of those last minute details that pop out of nowhere and threaten to derail whatever you or your manager have worked so hard to make happen — whether it be a meeting, a special event, or just daily life in the office. You take pride in your work, your environment, and your organization. You are considered a rock star by the people with whom you work. If this description speaks to you, we want to talk with you. We are recruiting an Operations Assistant for Friends of the Earth’s Berkeley, CA location. Your role is critical to the smooth functioning of this organization. Your work provides a foundation for others to perform the important advocacy work of Friends of the Earth.
About friends of the earth
Friends of the Earth is working for a more healthy and just world. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. Our mission is to change the perception of the public, media and policy makers – and effect policy change – with impactful, well-reasoned policy analysis and advocacy campaigns that protect people and the planet. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our programs address a wide range of domestic and international issues as they relate to the environment, including but not limited to: climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy and democracy reform.
What You’ll Do
This job is not for everyone, but it is a perfect fit for someone who is can-do and willing to do whatever it takes to get a job done. Specifically, there are six main parts to the job — ensuring everyone who visits our office experiences exceptional hospitality, making certain that our office is functioning and that everyone has what they need to do their jobs well, all technology is appropriate to meet the needs of a growing team including systems that gather, share, and track the information FOE needs to be successful, ensuring that all invoices are paid and processes followed on time each and every time.
- Support and coordinate Berkeley office management needs; develop and implement office systems to maximize efficiencies
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Guest reception
- Ordering, storing, and organizing all general office supplies and kitchen supplies
- Setting up conference rooms for staff meetings and events
- Maintain schedule for kitchen duty list
- Serve as the primary liaison between building engineers, property manager and FOE regarding office and building issues, and coordinating service requests
- Serve as the primary liaison with telephone, copier, and mail machine vendors
- Manage incoming letters and packages
- Coordinating monthly staff birthdays
- Sharing duties via Ops Request email hotline with Washington, DC Operations Assistant
- Help with onboarding new employees, including training new employees on office procedures
- Special projects and duties as assigned
- Equipment is set up (order and set up computers for all staff, troubleshooting, setting up workstations) and functioning properly
- Manage computer and equipment inventory for California office
- Working with staff to determine technology needs
- Assist with technical issues that may arise
- Liaising with IT companies and vendors
- Reconciling credit card account associated with the travel vendor
- Processing invoices related to office management (reviewing, getting signatures, submitting to accounting on time)
- Owner of travel process and travel vendor coordination
- Maintaining travel profiles for current staff
- Assisting staff with issues relating to travel vendor as needed
- Act as point of contact among staff for all things travel-related
Board Support & Special Projects
- Logistical support and event planning for one board meeting a year, implementation support and assisting with day-of coordination
- Maintaining board web portal year-round (including creating digital board book three times a year, updating the main landing page, maintaining the board materials library and board user accounts, etc.)
- Maintaining board lists for reference documents and email lists
- Assisting VP of Administration & Organizational Culture with event planning and special projects as needed
- Research special projects as needed
- High school diploma
- Demonstrable intermediate-level proficiency with Microsoft Office software
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience in a non-profit environment preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member and interact pleasantly and effectively with other staff and outside vendors
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you must be exceptional in these five areas:
- Radical welcome: Every single person who walks in the door is welcome.
- 100% follow-through: NO dropped balls policy. You will be required to stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work. You consistently meet all deadlines.
- Customer-service focused: You make it easy for our team to do their jobs. You view your work as supporting and providing the infrastructure that allows Friends of the Earth California staff to advance its overall mission.
- Team player: You are eager to use your role to advance the mission of FoE and never think anything is “not my job.” You look for ways to help beyond your own core responsibilities and are ready to participate in all-hands-on-deck projects.
- Action-oriented: Your bias is towards getting things done. That doesn’t mean that you don’t gather appropriate information first, but you drive work forward with an urgency to see results.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of can-do people, working in open spaces, regularly supporting each other. You will be working out of our Berkeley, CA office, which is a highly collaborative environment. Please follow this link to apply.
Your salary will be competitive for the role and market and you will find our benefits to be generous – organization-sponsored medical/dental/vision care, generous paid time off, contribution to retirement, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, paid maternity/paternity leave and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Also, please note that references will be requested during the screening process and we will ask final candidates to tackle some exercises that directly relate to the job description.