Position Reports To: Communications Director
Position Location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth is a progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks truth to power. For four decades, we have produced important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the intersection of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
Friends of the Earth is looking for a Press Officer to generate media coverage to help the organization’s mission. The successful candidate will support Friends of the Earth campaigns through assignments ranging from media relations & journalist cultivation to social media. You should consider this role if you love media relations and digital, and have excellent written and verbal communications with an exceptional eye for detail while working under pressure. This role reports to the Communications Director works in partnership with other Press Officers.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Create and implement media strategies for campaigns and rapid response opportunities.
- Develop messages and talking points, pitches and media materials including press releases, advisories and statements.
- Cultivate journalists through research, direct contact, and manage press lists.
- Serve as a point of contact for journalists, fielding inquiries and ensuring a timely response.
- Utilize social media for journalist outreach and assist in the development and implementation of content for FOE’s social media feeds.
- Monitor media coverage and prepare regular evaluation reports
Required Skills and Experience:
- 4-6 years of experience in media communications.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Experience and training in developing media-directed messaging.
- Experience with Content Management Systems (WordPress) and media contact databases (MuckRack, Meltwater).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- An associates or bachelor’s degree
- Experience drafting and scheduling social media content in a professional setting
Salary and Benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, parental leave and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.
E-mail cover letter, resume and two short writing samples (no longer than 1 page each) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Press Officer.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.