Power Up Memphis
In order to address the risks shown by disastrous climate change, the US, along with all other countries, must move decisively to replace fossil fuels and nuclear power with greenhouse gas free renewable energy, energy storage and energy efficiency technologies. The promise of a 100% renewable energy future is not a fantasy, but a necessity. Friends of the Earth is dedicated to assuring that the green energy transition can and will be made while assuring environmental and economic justice.
Friends of the Earth’s Clean Energy program is working to transform the Tennessee Valley Authority from a federal utility committed to generating electricity from climate and environment destroying coal, gas and nuclear power to one which leads the country in applying energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies in the quest to assure its customers with low cost, safe, clean energy for economic development across the region. A particular focus of the program is to work with activists and community and business leaders in Memphis to develop ambitious efficiency and solar power programs to address poverty and the need for job creation in Memphis, Tennessee.
Memphis consumers are likely to see their electric rates rise over the next decade if Memphis Light, Gas, and Water continues to get its power from the Tennessee Valley Authority, despite claims to the opposite by TVA, according to a new report released today.
A new expert analysis reports that a growing trend of lower market prices for solar and wind power could enable Memphis Light, Gas, and Water to achieve energy generating costs lower than were identified in a report earlier this year that showed substantial possible cost savings for MLGW customers should…
Friends of the Earth is urging the Tennessee Valley Authority to provide full details of a revised contract for its municipal utilities discussed at a meeting last week of their Board of Directors.
In The News:
- Daily Memphian, MLGW to Talk With Other Electric Providers As It Weighs Long-term Future With TVA, Feb. 22, 2019
- Fox 13, Study shows MLGW could save millions on power by leaving TVA, Feb. 20, 2019
- Commercial Appeal, MLGW Could Save millions, Get Greener, By Breaking Away From TVA, Study Says, Feb. 19, 2019
Memphis Business Journal, Another Study Shows Savings for MLGW Outside of TVA, Feb. 19, 2019
- Memphis Flyer, Study: Switch From TVA Power Could Save Up To $333M, Feb. 18, 2019
- ABC 24, Study Says MLGW Could Save More Than 300 Million By Telling TVA To Hit The Road, Feb. 18, 2019
- Daily Memphian, New Study Lays Out Path to MLGW Cutting Historic Ties to TVA, Feb. 18, 2019