- Pesticides and Pollinators Intern
Pesticides and Pollinators Intern
Position reports to: Pesticides and Pollinators Campaigner
Position Location: Washington, DC
Friends of the Earth-U.S., founded by David Brower in 1969, is the U.S. voice of the world’s largest federation of grassroots environmental groups, with a presence in 75 countries. Friends of the Earth works to defend the environment and champion a more healthy and just world. We are a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for more than 45 years, resulting in landmark environmental laws, precedent-setting legal victories and groundbreaking reforms of domestic and international regulatory, corporate and financial institution policies.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Our current campaigns focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change, ensuring the food we eat and products we use are sustainable and safe for our health and the environment, and protecting marine ecosystems and the people who live and work near them. This work is carried out by our team of staff in our Berkeley, California and Washington, D.C. offices.
Friends of the Earth’s Food and Agriculture Program is working to rapidly transition our food system to one that is sustainable, healthy and just — the food system of the future. We carry out market and policy campaigns aimed at protecting pollinators, reforming animal agriculture and reducing the harmful environmental, health and social impacts of industrial agriculture while advocating for local, just, humane, organic, climate-resilient agro-ecological food production. We also work to ensure the safe and precautionary management of chemicals and emerging technologies.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated intern to help support Friends of the Earth’s BeeAction campaign. The position will support the BeeAction policy and markets campaigns and initiatives that focus on education, organizing and building power to eliminate the use of people and pollinator-toxic pesticides, protect pollinators and advance a sustainable and just food system.
The intern will become an integral member of our dynamic Food and Agriculture Team and gain valuable skills in research, campaign development, corporate and non-profit engagement, education and organizing.
This position will introduce the intern to a wide range of colleagues in environmental, social and food justice and legislative arenas. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about interactions between non-profits, corporate entities and government offices.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Implementation of strategic campaign plans (including research, outreach, public education, online and offline organizing and social media) in conjunction with the Pesticides and Pollinators Campaigner.
- Conduct research and analysis to develop factsheets, web content and other campaign materials on pollinator health, food, agriculture and pesticides to educate allies, opinion leaders, policymakers, the press and the public and to inform policy proposals.
- Coordinate events such as rallies, petition deliveries, press conferences, briefings and lobby days
- Develop social media materials and action guidelines for partners and members
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Work Product Expectations
- Expand group of coalition partners and allies on federal and state policy campaigns
- Assist in planning petition deliveries and actions
- Create materials to aid state and federal policy campaigns and weeks of action
- Help mobilize Friends of the Earth members to express support for our policy priorities
- Help grow list of legislative champions for policy priorities
Skills and Knowledge
- Education and/or experience with campaigns, legislative and political work
- A high school diploma or GED
- Understanding of sustainable agriculture, the impacts of synthetic pesticides on people and ecosystems, and the harms of the industrial agriculture system
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and basic Microsoft programs
- A highly motivated, quick learner who is able to take initiative and work independently
Preferred Skills & Experience
- A background in environmental issues, environmental science, and public policy
- Experience and familiarity with collecting, analyzing and summarizing reliable research
E-mail cover letter, resume, short writing sample and salary history to [email protected] with the subject heading “Pesticides and Pollinators Intern” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
This is a paid, full-time internship. Intern must be able to work 37.5 hours per week at a rate of $15/hour, and the Intern must be able to commit at least 3 months.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.